[Asterisk-Dev] New manager API command

Saul Diaz saul at cripiland.com
Wed Nov 9 10:04:41 MST 2005

snacktime wrote:

> On 11/8/05, *Saul Diaz* <saul at cripiland.com
> <mailto:saul at cripiland.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi
>
>     i am think in build a manager APPL for retrieve files (recordings,
>     voicemails) from the asterisk through the manager API
>
>     something like GETFILE <FILENAME> will be restricted to a particulars
>     folders /var/spool/asterisk related... so u can get files from
>     monitor
>     or voicemail but don't compromise your server
>

> IMO this example really isn't an asterisk specific feature.  It's a
> way to transfer files from one server to another.  The fact that it's
> files in the asterisk directory you want to transfer is really
> secondary.  Plus as Matt pointed out there are so many different ways
> to do this, and different people will want it done differently.  For
> example I do this using a really simple distributed ruby proxy that
> gives me a remote file handle I can read or write to.  I use it to
> stream voicemail files from the asterisk server to the webserver and
> on to end users.  You could also run a chrooted ftp server or use scp.

That's was part of the question in the email.. is really more stress for
an asterisk server put a ruby proxy or webserver in busy server?

first scenario that come to my mind.. you have a manager appl allowing
ppl to to monitor your asterisk server (i already have that
http://www.cripiland.com/screenshots/manager3.jpg) a suppervisor wants
to hear the recorders for the phones...or hear his voicemail in his viewver!

for everything that u say u have to install another server in the
aterisk ftp server, webserver.. how much stress this bring to a busy
asterisk compared with just an action to uuencode the file and send it?

the response could be something like this

Response: Success
ActionID: <ID>
Message: File Follow

<FILE UUENCODE>