[Asterisk-Dev] AST_FRAME_DATA

Christian Richter christian.richter at beronet.com
Sun Nov 6 10:00:16 MST 2005

Hi List,

I'm maintainer of chan_misdn. I'd like to add a frame type to asterisk
which allows it to transport binary data in chunks through asterisk.
This is in my opinion the easiest way of exchange hdlc frames between
different channel drivers, which have the corresponding
transfercapabilieties.

At the moment, i believe (maybe Mark can clarify that), chan_zap
exchanges hdlc data between 2 channels in a native bridge. chan_misdn
can do the same, but uses also AST_FRAME_VOICE to exchange the data with
applications e.g.

Since it is most likely, at least in europe, that a company has an
external PRI Line and a lot of internal BRI lines, the problem often
occurs that HDLC Data needs to be exchanged between chan_zap and
chan_misdn.

Probably it would be interesting for other channel drivers too.

I'm just curious how this problem can be fixed best, and I'd provide
patches and source if we find a good solution.

Thanks!

Christian