[Asterisk-Dev] Re: multiple registrations of same credentials

Michael Procter michael.procter at citel.com
Wed Nov 2 08:14:28 MST 2005

Kevin Hanson wrote:

> Michael Procter wrote:
>
> >Kevin Hanson wrote:
> >
> >>Is this a limitation of SIP or will Asterisk be able to support
> >>extension appearances without the call-limit in the future?
> >>

> >An approach to shared lines/bridged lines is documented in:
> >http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-anil-sipping-bla-02.txt
> >
> >This supports multiple appearances on the same AOR, i.e. more than
> >one call at a time.
> >
> >Polycom are listed in the acknowledgements section of this draft,
> >so you might find that they support this draft in some form
> or another.
> >

> I was aware of Polycom's support of shared line appearances,
> but I don't think Asterisk supports it.

I agree - Asterisk doesn't support it.  But I was answering your
question about whether this is a limitation of SIP or will Asterisk
be able to support it.  My answer is that you can do it in SIP,
but Asterisk doesn't support it.

> "Shared line appearances are hard to implement with Asterisk,

I didn't say supporting the draft in Asterisk would be easy!  All
I said was the problem has a SIP solution.  You have a bunch of
choices from here:

1)	Don't support it at all
2)	Support it by implementing the draft
3)	Support it in an Asterisk-specific manner

Each has advantages and disadvantages and the approach you take
will depend very much on your situation.  But I'm sure you knew
that anyway!

Regards,

Michael