[Asterisk-Dev] Patent lawyers?

Brian West brian.west at mac.com
Tue May 31 17:26:32 MST 2005

> As far as I can tell none of these relate to spandsp itself. They
> relate to certain uses of it. Is that correct?

Correct.  I should have been more clear.

> Store and forward delivery of voice and fax by e-mail is something
> I was doing in about 1995. However, it was for an internal system,
> and I probably couldn't produce supporting material that would
> qualify as prior art.

I recall doing similar in 95 as well.

> 6208638 was files in 1997 and 6597688 was filed in 1998. They were
> filed by J2, and describe similar things. I did those thing well
> before 1997, and didn't consider them novel at the time. However,
> I'm not sure I could come up with solid material to support that -
> these things were just too obvious to document.

I'm sure we can all find something we could classify as prior art to
invalidate the patent.

> Who has raised these patent issues? J2?

Yes, They sent us this nice letter to license their patents and
technology.  I'm sure at the rate they are going they will quickly
turn it into a suit.

These patents are a bit broad if you ask me.. they are suing
callwave.  We have yet to get anything official about any suit but
I'm wanting to cover my bases before hand just in case.

http://www.venali.com/about/press_releases/
pr_j2Patents_reexam_grantd.asp

/b