[Asterisk-Dev] new iax jitterbuffer?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sun May 29 09:49:03 MST 2005

> > phoenix*CLI> iax2 show netstats
> >                                 -------- LOCAL ---------------------
> > -------- R EMOTE --------------------
> > Channel                    RTT  Jit  Del  Lost   %  Drop  OOO  Kpkts  Jit
> > Del Lost   %  Drop  OOO  Kpkts
> > IAX2/teliax at teliax-1        80    0   40     0   0     0    0      1    0
> > 40 0   0     0    0      0
> > 1 active IAX channel(s)
> > phoenix*CLI>
> >
> > it seems I never see any jitter. On this one, I'm using a Cisco 1750
> > with three classes in a policy map (QoS) and an adsl interface. I would
> > have guessed that at least some jitter (etc) would be occurring over
> > this iax/gsm channel.
>
> The jitter buffer is only turned on when you're terminating to a non-VOIP
> endpoint (such as Zap) -- This was done because the jitter buffer should only
> really be enabled at the endpoints, otherwise you end up buffering buffers,
> as each hop could theoretically have its own jitter buffer and this would
> easily lead to far more delay than would be necessary.
>
> You can get around this by forcing the jitter buffer; forcejitterbuffer=yes
> will do it.

Okay... it would seem like forcing it (for teliax.com calls) would be
appropriate as the Internet path from them to me is likely to be the
worst leg of any voip call. Does that sound realistic or am I missing
something here (I'm using C7960 sip phones)?

Also, in something like:
 C7960 -> * -> iax-link -> * -> C7960
wouldn't that also represent a config where the jitterbuffer is truly
wanted?