[Asterisk-Dev] IAX2 RFC and retries.

tim panton tpanton at attglobal.net
Fri May 20 05:23:20 MST 2005

I am implementing the IAX2 protocol in pure Java.
I am trying to use the RFC as a protocol description
- not the code!

The good news is that I have a usable phone with acceptable
performance if I am on a quiet LAN.

However....
I am now trying to implement the retry mechanism for full frames.
I can't get it to work right against asterisk 1.0.3
The RFC says:

An ACK must have both a source
       call number and destination call number.  It must also increment
       the sequence number counters, and return the same timestamp it
       received.  This allows the originating peer to determine to which
       message the ACK is responding.

But this seems not to be the case. I am seeing acks with timestamps
that are the time they were sent, not that of the original message.

Before I rip my code apart again, could someone tell me if the
RFC represents what Asterisk 1.0.3 actually does ?

Thanks.

Tim.