[Asterisk-Dev] stable/feature freeze?

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Wed May 18 11:25:48 MST 2005

Steven wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 11:57 -0400, C. Maj wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 18 May 2005, Russell Bryant waxed:
>>

>>>If I knew a way to make everyone stop referring to it as the "stable"
>>>branch and just refer to it as the "1.0" branch, then I would happily do
>>>it.  I agree that "stable" is a bad name, and it just causes stress for
>>>me.  I maintain the branch on my own, and pretty much the only time
>>>anyone talks to me about it is when they want to complain about their
>>>specific problem and want to know why it was a problem in the first
>>>place, and then why it wasn't fixed yesterday.
>>>
>>>Russell
>>>

>>You could come up with some clever names like Debian does
>>for 'woody', 'sarge', 'sid' (stable,testing,unstable), so
>>maybe for asterisk 'masterflash', 'starlight', 'dogpound',
>>etc.  Regardless, nice work on going thru bug after bug and
>>marking whether the patch gets applied to 1.0, especially
>>since most people are only writing patches against head.
>>

>Debian has different goals to satisfy by using those names though. Sid
>has been deemed always unstable. Woody is the 3.0 branch and Sarge is
>the future release with pending release number. The reason is to
>mitigate the problems when the new stable branch gets released. If you
>track the release name Woody, it won't change when Sarge becomes the
>stable release and some other Toy Story character becomes the testing
>name.
>
>Of course there are a few experimental trees that lay over unstable.

We could get ideas from debian, but obviously things would be different.
We don't have 15000 different packages comprising an asterisk distro and
we don't have a lot of different hardware architectures. With debian if
a package builds and runs okay on the i386 arch but not on sparc it is
considered a release-critical bug. There is a whole set of rules for
moving things from unstable to testing and I think we would only need a
small subset of those rules.

I think the goal should be to have a testing branch that encourages
people to test. I have spare server hardware. If there were debian
packages in an asterisk testing branch, I would be installing them on a
test server and filing bugs(the type that maintainers appreciate). I
might install testing on a production machine, but would never allow
that one to be automatically upgraded. We only need to build for debian
and the most popular rpm-based distros to get a lot more testers. With
unstable a lot of users never get it built and running so the only thing
they are testing is the makefile.