[Asterisk-Dev] stable/feature freeze?

Steven critch at basesys.com
Wed May 18 10:29:55 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 11:57 -0400, C. Maj wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2005, Russell Bryant waxed:
> > If I knew a way to make everyone stop referring to it as the "stable"
> > branch and just refer to it as the "1.0" branch, then I would happily do
> > it.  I agree that "stable" is a bad name, and it just causes stress for
> > me.  I maintain the branch on my own, and pretty much the only time
> > anyone talks to me about it is when they want to complain about their
> > specific problem and want to know why it was a problem in the first
> > place, and then why it wasn't fixed yesterday.
> >
> > Russell
>
> You could come up with some clever names like Debian does
> for 'woody', 'sarge', 'sid' (stable,testing,unstable), so
> maybe for asterisk 'masterflash', 'starlight', 'dogpound',
> etc.  Regardless, nice work on going thru bug after bug and
> marking whether the patch gets applied to 1.0, especially
> since most people are only writing patches against head.

Debian has different goals to satisfy by using those names though. Sid
has been deemed always unstable. Woody is the 3.0 branch and Sarge is
the future release with pending release number. The reason is to
mitigate the problems when the new stable branch gets released. If you
track the release name Woody, it won't change when Sarge becomes the
stable release and some other Toy Story character becomes the testing
name.

Of course there are a few experimental trees that lay over unstable.
--
Steven <critch at basesys.com>