[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk deadlocks

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Mon May 9 09:29:06 MST 2005

On Saturday 07 May 2005 08:23, Mark Johnson wrote:
> Can someone please help me.  I am currently HEAD as of about 5 days
> ago (stable was giving me all sort of problems, upgraded per other
> users suggestions) on an Intel mainboard using a mix of Cisco 7960/40
> SIP and 7910 SCCP.   Can someone please explain what the following
> means?  When this happens, I am about 1 minute from Asterisk going
> downhill.  All of the SCCP phones quit, while the SIP phones can do
> calling to some degree.  I get kicked out of any consoles and can't
> reconnect without restarting asterisk.
>
> May  7 01:03:13 DEBUG[28400] channel.c: Avoiding deadlock for
> 'SCCP/118-0000001a'
> May  7 01:03:13 WARNING[28400] channel.c: Avoided deadlock for
> 'SCCP/118-0000001a', 10 retries!

That's not a deadlock; that's a resource starvation.  Quite simply, some
routine locks the channel, but does not unlock it, causing you to be
unable to lock the channel in another thread.  Be happy that the code is
using ast_mutex_trylock(), instead of ast_mutex_lock(), or you'd have a
real deadlock on your hands.

As chan_sccp.c is outside of the tree, you should probably contact the
developer of that channel off-list.

--
Tilghman