[Asterisk-Dev] [RFC] Remote MWI using IAX2

Chris Lee cslee-list at cybericom.co.uk
Sat May 7 08:49:29 MST 2005

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> On April 30, 2005 12:59 am, Gil Kloepfer wrote:
>
>>5.  There may be scalability issues with many phones doing remote MWI
>>queries as, in the case of Zap/ channels, the MWI checking is done
>>once a second.
>

> It'd be nice if this were changed to once a minute or something more
> reasonable, *or* if it were possible to have the remote IAX2 MWI checking
> done in such a way that you "registered" to the IAX peer and then simply
> received notification of waiting messages, rather than polling for it.
> (think of it similar to an IAX2 REGISTER followed by the occassional
> PING/PONG to make sure the user was still alive at the registered IP/port).
>
> Very nice proof of concept though, I know I'm eager to have a central
> voicemail implemented for IAX2.  :-)

It would make much more sense if the voice mail was linked to the user
not the phone.

A user logs in (registers a physical phone as their location).
The Asterisk server that is logged into gets the location of the users
VoiceMail server from the user config file.
Makes a request for VoiceMail updates to be sent and keeps a local
record for the device to access for its WMI indicator.
Then the phone can ask the local asterisk server for WMI info when it
wants to and we dont have massive clouds of WMI info all over the network.

Regards
Chris.