[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk Manager Interface losing events

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Mon May 9 09:21:04 MST 2005

On Monday 09 May 2005 02:46, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> >In addition, we should probably write it as a double buffer:  the
> >first for messages to be sent immediately, and the second for
> >messages that are sent while ->blocking is set (which is set during
> >all responses to an Action).  Currently, any event which is
> > attempted during a Response is simply dropped on the floor, instead
> > of being retried.
>
> Thanks for explaining that.  Now that you have confirmed why this is
> happening, I think the most logical solution for people wanting to
> use the Manager interface as-is, would be opening two connections -
> one for sending actions and one for reading events.  Am I correct in
> assuming the second connection would never miss an event?

I'm afraid not.  The second cause of lost events was in the section of
the email which you chopped -- which explains that Asterisk only tries
to write for a limited period of time, then gives up.  A buffer would
help to mitigate this problem, by allowing an event generator to return,
even when Asterisk is not immediately able to send to the remote
manager (but the event is queued up and reliably sent).

--
Tilghman