[Asterisk-Dev] Dev call 1.2 release discussion

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Sat May 7 18:04:37 MST 2005

On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 10:31:36AM -0500, Brian West wrote:
> By run off I mean the process from patch to commit is totally insane
> at times taking MONTHS of your life and most people just give up.
> Thus they were run off.

One other thing is that nobody (outside the dev-team that is) has
no idea what the direction of the Asterisk development is. Or the
current issues. Or the schedule for things.

Please note that I'm somewhat involved in the FreeBSD project, and
somewhat know my way around there:

- Their status report:
    http://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-jan-2005-mar-2005.html
    It shows what mini-projects everybody is busy with and what the
    status is. It shows who to contact in case that you're interested
    in helping or testing things.

    If Asterisk had something similar, I would for this (bi)monthly
    status report have written that I am rewriting the Enum interface
    Asterisk is using. Note that I'm not in the Asterisk dev-team,
    but still am interested in getting this working properly.

- The open issues for the next release:
    http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.4R/todo.html
    It shows what the show stoppers are for the next release and
    who is working on them.

    This is a job for the RE team/person.

- Their release schedule
    http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.4R/schedule.html
    Due to the size of the FreeBSD project, the schedule is very
    long and detailed. But it gives an overview of when things start
    to happen and/or actually have happened.

    This is a job for the RE team/person.

If Asterisk had something similar, it would make the development
for Asterisk more transparent (a lot of information will be available)
and easier to contact the persons who are working on certain items.

Just my 2 cents.

Edwin
--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org