[Asterisk-Dev] Dev call 1.2 release discussion

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri May 6 18:20:05 MST 2005

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 01:21:38PM -0700, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 04:08:22PM -0400, Jerris, Michael MI wrote:
> >
> > > Jeremy McNamara
> > >
> > > Autoconf is not the answer.   I have a make menuconfig addition I am
> > > working on.   I have mimicked the basic concept of the Linux kernel's
> > > menuconfig option.
> >
> > Autoconf is not the answer to what?  Autotools are potentially the
> > answer to many of the crossplatform issues we have had lately, and
>
> well well well... this is going to be a religion war.
>
> autotools introduce a different (additional) set of dependencies
> in the build system.
>
> I may accept that auto* config files written by someone who is
> competent and fluent in the use of these tools may
> solve problems; HOWEVER, there are not so many competent
> autotools programmers, and in many cases the config files are just
> copied from other programs (bugs included) and hacked by
> trial and error until they do something acceptable on the one
> system they tried them on.

The way things stand today, almost anybody who wants to slightly chage
the build options of asterisk needs to master make and follow the
complicated makefile.

from my experince, autoconf is not that complicated a beast. It's just
another set of macros.

--
Tzafrir Cohen     icq#16849755  +972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com