[Asterisk-Dev] [Rant] [long] - code style and quality

Brent Priddy toopriddy at gmail.com
Sat May 7 17:20:47 MST 2005

> I find it interesting you specifically say "free software developers".
> Free software is usually much cleaner than commercial code. Free
> developer have pride driving them to do things. Commercial development
> stops the moment the cash does.

>From 10 years of C/C++ embedded development and working with >20
commercial subsystems, I would have to disaggree... You would not be
able to sell stuff that looks like some of the code in asterisk or
other opensource programs I have contributed to and now maintain.

Opensource developers usually do not write clean code, asterisk is not
the only one. I would not flame someone for trying to inspire a bit of
code tidieness.  If your code is readable and your coding style is
consistant, then things would be easier to add to, maintain and
refactor.

I will have to say, though, that when asterisk first started in the
small shop in Auburn, the code was sloppy and had no header file
documentation... now there is at least some documentation... way to
go!... now just tidy things up guys