[Asterisk-Dev] [Rant] [long] - code style and quality

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Sat May 7 08:34:12 MST 2005

On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 08:31:54PM +0800, Steve Underwood wrote:
> Edwin Groothuis wrote:
>
> >On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 08:24:16PM +0800, Steve Underwood wrote:
> >

> >>the C 101 course, and wants to tell the world what he found. People who
> >>have actually produced something complex and useful seldom write that
> >>way. They know real code gets messy as time goes on. Cleaning it up is
> >>

> >I don't care if you are trolling or not, but you are wrong on this.
> >
> >Edwin
> >

> Well that was a contentless post. Would you care to try a version with
> some content to back up your assertion.
>
> By the way, the troll is the original poster, not me.

Just for the records, the original poster (and Edwin probably knows
that very well having lived on the FreeBSD lists for some time) may
well be a troll, but in addition to that is a long time FreeBSD
committer who has written several major components of FreeBSD
including the ipfw2 firewall, the dummynet traffic shaper, the
second incarnation of the audio driver, the polling architecture
for network device drivers, bridging support, assorted device
drivers, a relatively widely used FEC codec, and in the past couple
of weeks since starting looking at asterisk has submitted a replacement
chan_oss driver and a few other patches and bugfixes, some committed
already, some still sitting in mantix, and one which was actually
wrong (one cannot always be right...). So he is actually putting his
money where his mouth is.

This said, my experience in FreeBSD, where admittedly code style
policies tend to be rather tight, is that code does not _have to_
get messy -- when it happens it is because of [a combination of]
lack of resources (time to design, debug, fix the code) or sloppy policies.
The latter can actually be fixed, and that was the point of my
original comment.

	cheers
	luigi aka the original poster aka (maybe) the troll