[Asterisk-Dev] [Rant] [long] - code style and quality

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat May 7 07:51:28 MST 2005

Michael Giagnocavo wrote:

>>health of a project.  I'm sure that we can find many projects that died
>>(or were rewritten from scratch) because of code style and quality
>>problems.
>>
>>Jeff
>>

>Like Netscape?
>
>-Michael

I'm not sure what your point is with that example. Netscape 4 is one of
the few cases I have seen which looked so horrible that only truly
radical action seemed like the way out. However, that was badly
structured to its very heart, and bad design was the issue. Code style
and quality were not the key factors.

Note that they basically said "we are going to go away for a rather long
time, with no new features available. You can forget us as a competitor,
and make hay". Well, its looking like that might have a happy ending,
but more by luck than by judgement.

Regards,
Steve