[Asterisk-Dev] [Rant] [long] - code style and quality

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Fri May 6 22:07:30 MST 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 12:34 +0800, Steve Underwood wrote:
> If you don't like * the way it is, don't use it. If you want to make it
> better, submit patches.
>
> If you have the time to write such a long whiney and pointless message,
> you probably have the time to do something useful. Try that instead.
> Sure the Asterisk code is messy in lots of ways, but it actually exists
> in a useful state because the developers focussed on functionality. Most
> of the neat and stylish programs never make it to a working state. If
> you want to make useful criticism, look at the structural issues in *.
> There are many of those which could be far better. Do something useful
> about those, and people will be impressed.

And perhaps you could have checked the bugtracker before getting all
high and mighty.  Mr. Rizzo has started posting patches to fix some of
the issues that he has found.  Anyway, I think we need people to look at
the code from Mr. Rizzo's viewpoint.  Coding style and quality are part
of keeping a program maintainable, which is vital for the long-term
health of a project.  I'm sure that we can find many projects that died
(or were rewritten from scratch) because of code style and quality
problems.

Jeff