[Asterisk-Dev]About Asterisk Architecture

Brian West brian.west at mac.com
Mon May 2 10:25:59 MST 2005

> Ignore the comments in the code, a lot of them are just plain wrong
> and misleading - which means you can't rely on any of them.
> If you intend to develop for Asterisk I'de suggest reading the
> actual code
> and determining what it does for yourself. The doxygen stuff isn't
> particularly
> useful unless/until you know what you're looking for.

If they are wrong we need to get them out of there... can you point
out an example?

> There are lots of things that could be improved for the developer
> in Asterisk,
> namely access to some hidden core functions. I don't know of any
> programming
> docs at all. Most of what I have done involves disecting the
> Asterisk code and
> leaping about trying to find the function I'm after.. thankfully we
> have grep -R

But honestly would docs help?  I don't think it would because the
hard core people would just look at the source anyway.  Which is the
ultimate documentation.  I think their is a plan to update the API
docs a bit better so they are more sane and make progdocs would be up
to date.  Wouldn't most people already have the clue to check the
code if they were going to develop on/for asterisk?

/b