[Asterisk-Dev] asterisk "stable"?

Travis taxtell at CLEMSON.EDU
Mon May 2 07:25:26 MST 2005

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

> <frustrated>
> Hi
>
> running 1.0.6/1.0.7, I keep seeing numerous bugs such as huge memory
> leaks, rtp overflows, application bugs etc etc. Wasn't the 1.0.x track
> meant to be stable? Or does "stable" only mean "feature freeze"? Will
> asterisk 1.2.x be just as badly tested as the 1.0.x track?
>
> roy
> </frustrated>

Roy,

You've really opened yourself up to a flame attack here, but I'm not
going to take the bait.  From Brian's response, you can see that the
developers do their best to make a release and then let it go out into
the wild.  If you really want to see the 1.0.x tree stabilize, you need
to provide better feedback than what you've done.  The development tools
are available to you, too.

I think this opens up to a really good point about developers and
stable.  I remember reading in the sineapps.com interview for our stable
maintainer, Russell Bryant, that people told him they felt bad that he
"got stuck" with being stable maintainer.  Doesn't seem like everyone is
willing to work on 1.0.

Admittedly I am new to this community, so as an observer thus far, I can
say that I have come to see everyone seems to expect all of the features
but do none of the work.  Then it usually returns to grumpy complaints
about how asterisk developers are not good, etc, etc.  Then it usually
turns into a Digium shitfest thereafter.

Returning to the stable branch, I think the developers that do post
patches to keep it working as best as possible are doing a good job,
just that there are not enough people doing this.  I have already spoken
with Russell and Mark Spencer about possibly becoming a helper to
Russell on stable tree work.  I hope to be of some help to him and help
the community out.

So if you're really interested in the stability of asterisk, please help
out and do so, but don't impede.

Travis Axtell