[Asterisk-Dev] (no subject)

jharragi at mw.k12.ny.us jharragi at mw.k12.ny.us
Wed Mar 30 19:43:18 MST 2005

This is a repeat of asterisk-users thread:

http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-December/076470.html

I will re-ask it here - as it may be more appropriate on the dev list.

John Harragin, Monroe-Woodbury Central School District

Are there any digital phones that run on asterisk yet? I'm talking about
non-IP phones here...

>Asterisk can work with ADSI phones,

What I have in mind is a pci card with zap-like-driver that supports
digital phones. This eliminates (is compairable to using channel bank)
additional delay and a primary echo source when both haves of a
conversation are carried on the same pair as found with fxs ports. There
are many reasons why this is superior to the channel bank/analog phone
route especially when VoIP comes into the picture. This is also superior
to an office filled with IP phones and a centralized asterisk switch -
although there are times where it is clearly advantageous to use an IP
phone, such as distant office phones or if all of your calls are destine
to IP. But if you are connecting to a telco, calls that avoid IP are
always going to be superior and more reliable (with the current state of
things).

Anyway, there are many pci/digital phone key system or pbx manufacturers.
At some point they will see the inevitability and potential of the
Asterisk market and modify zap or make drivers for their equipment. This
is a problem for independent developers because if you began to make this
type of equipment, you have to potential of instant heavy competition.
Maybe it would be a good open hardware project like zappata. Anyway, if
you think asterisk is growing fast now, just wait till this happens...

Anyway, I need hundreds of these phones. I am using Asterisk as a bridge
to several aging PBXs and am expecting to one day run all of my wired
phones native in Asterisk.

John

>I hear ya. I guess what I was getting at was that I couldn't see much
> hope of getting Asterisk to natively support proprietary sets,
It is not that I want to use proprietary phones, I want the benefits that
native digital phones will provide. This will allow Asterisk to work more
effectively in office environments. As to the quad or octo BRI ports, I'm
looking for more phone density like at least 24 per pci slot (~96 would
be ideal) - this might require a breakout box with some circuitry like a
power bus for the desk-sets.

> but if he was really keen on re-using the phones (a major expenditure
> in a PBX purchase)

I'm not keen to re-use the phones. Right now my stradigy is to keep all
of my old stuff going until the availability of these phones occurs. I
expect we'll be purchasing hundreds when that happens. How's that for a
bounty? (Not much really - because I think this marked will be enormous.
That is the bounty.)

John