[Asterisk-Dev] Real UniqueIDs (GUID/UUID) for CDRs

Stefan Reuter srt at reucon.net
Wed Mar 30 14:18:32 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 14:41 -0600, Michael Giagnocavo wrote:
> A bit ago, there was a conversation about having GUIDs/UUIDs in CDRs.
> Something that'll be guaranteed unique even with a large farm of Asterisk
> servers busily generating CDRs.

The problem is not only with CDRs. When using the Manager API to control
several asterisk servers the UniqueID cannot be used as a hash key -
well because it just is not unique across several asterisk instances.

> There's a patch to the core CDR code, plus I made cdr_csv support it as
> well. To anyone interested, please add on patches for other CDR modules (I'm
> not familiar with them at all).

This approach has some limitations. We are currently using the UniqueId
obtained via the Manager API combined with an id repesenting the
asterisk node to store additional information about a call. This patch
would make it much harder to correlate this data with the corresponding
CDR later on.

Why not just making the UniqueID really unique?
That would make it usable as a hash key, solve the CDR issues and retain
the correlation of data associated with the UniqueID and CDR.

=Stefan