[Asterisk-Dev] [patch][rfc] Match as you go dialling -- new early-matching wildcard.

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Tue Mar 29 06:48:13 MST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, lconroy wrote:

> On 29 Mar 2005, at 01:55, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > <snip>
> > I introduced a new form of wildcard, using the '+' character. This
> > differs from the '+' wildcard character in two respects: firstly, it
> > matches zero or more characters; not one or more characters. Secondly,
> > and more importantly, its behaviour w.r.t match-as-you-dial DTMF
> > dialling is different. If the only extension which can match the
> > received digits is one with a '+' wildcard, then it'll match
> > immediately
> > without waiting for DigitTimeout, just as with a non-wildcard extension
> > which is unambiguous.
> >
> > The patch to do this is below. Can anyone point out a way to achieve
> > the
> > same behaviour without any modification to Asterisk itself? Or a better
> > modification which would allow me to do the same
>
> Please don't use '+' as a reserved character in dial strings.
> International numbers can use different dialled digits to start (00
> over here, 10 or 90 elsewhere,
> ...) so it's a VERY useful feature to convert to '+' in SIP proxies.
> Thus with incoming calls '+'
> may WELL be received as the 1st character of a destination,
> particularly with callers via SIP proxies.
> Likewise, folk using cell phones are used to pressing '+' as the
> international number identifier.

We use a similar wildcard internally. We changed the meaning of the '.'
wildcard to exactly the same as was described above. This worked or for
us, since it is an internal release only. It would be nice with some
consensus on which character should be used for this type of wildcard. We
were not able to get overlap dialing to wirk exactly as we wanted to
without it.

To David: I'll look at your patch and compare it to ours. I'll probably
reply in private.

Peter