[Asterisk-Dev] [patch][rfc] Match as you go dialling -- new early-matching wildcard.

lconroy lconroy at insensate.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 06:34:30 MST 2005

On 29 Mar 2005, at 01:55, David Woodhouse wrote:
> <snip>
> I introduced a new form of wildcard, using the '+' character. This
> differs from the '+' wildcard character in two respects: firstly, it
> matches zero or more characters; not one or more characters. Secondly,
> and more importantly, its behaviour w.r.t match-as-you-dial DTMF
> dialling is different. If the only extension which can match the
> received digits is one with a '+' wildcard, then it'll match
> immediately
> without waiting for DigitTimeout, just as with a non-wildcard extension
> which is unambiguous.
>
> The patch to do this is below. Can anyone point out a way to achieve
> the
> same behaviour without any modification to Asterisk itself? Or a better
> modification which would allow me to do the same
<snip>

To which I reply:

Please don't use '+' as a reserved character in dial strings.
International numbers can use different dialled digits to start (00
over here, 10 or 90 elsewhere,
...) so it's a VERY useful feature to convert to '+' in SIP proxies.
Thus with incoming calls '+'
may WELL be received as the 1st character of a destination,
particularly with callers via SIP proxies.
Likewise, folk using cell phones are used to pressing '+' as the
international number identifier.

Whilst I understand your patch to check only for '+' in the tail of an
extension, it would be mighty
confusing to use this with two different meanings.

all the best,
   Lawrence