[Asterisk-Dev] codec negotiation issue

Goldenear goldenear at free.fr
Thu Mar 24 06:14:18 MST 2005

Michael Giagnocavo wrote :

>Look for my codec passthrough patch. While there might be some work in the
>future, the only way to negotiate the final codec when you first get the
>call in is to somehow know where the call will end up. The dialplan can't do
>this. You _must_ patch the channel to execute some other logic before
>receiving the call.
>
>-Michael

I read http://bugs.digium.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0003346
This should be a good solution for my need :

exten => _**393.,1,SetPreferredCodec(ulaw)
exten => _**393.,2,Dial(IAX2/fwdnum:fwdpwd at iax.fwdnet.net/${EXTEN:5})

So any incoming call to FWD would be asked to use ulaw first... if it
can, we'll have native bridging :) great ! Will this be patch be soon a
part of the main CVS ?

I wondering also if it would not be possible to directly ask peers what
codec(s) they can use, so if they can use the same codec, just ask them
to use it and native bridge them ?