[Asterisk-Dev] Problems with call recording (and NEWJB?)

Tamas J thomasj at eworld.hu
Wed Mar 23 01:31:11 MST 2005

Hello,

Steve Kann wrote:

> Tamas,
>
>    Do calls which are not being monitored work well with the New JB?  I
> can see two possibilities here:
I did a test call without recording:
*CLI> iax2 show netstats
                                -------- LOCAL ---------------------
-------- REMOTE --------------------
Channel                    RTT  Jit  Del  Lost   %  Drop  OOO  Kpkts
Jit  Del  Lost   %  Drop  OOO  Kpkts
IAX2/Jalsovszky-notebook@   35   12   61     0   0     0    0      1
0    0     0   0     0    0      0

iax2 show channels showed:
Lag: 00000ms
Jitter: 0014ms
JitBuf: 0061ms
Format: speex

While I called myself, I didn't notice any problem in the voice call.
Both sides were ok.
Practically with call recording I got similar values:
*CLI> iax2 show netstats
                                -------- LOCAL ---------------------
-------- REMOTE --------------------
Channel                    RTT  Jit  Del  Lost   %  Drop  OOO  Kpkts
Jit  Del  Lost   %  Drop  OOO  Kpkts
IAX2/Jalsovszky-notebook@   42   16   61     0   0     0    0      1
0    0     0   0     0    0      0

> a) There's a problem with the NEWJB handling something about your
> environment;  generally, you'd see this on the calls going IAX->*->PRI
> you mention.  See the new README.jitterbuffer, or my previous e-mails to
> the list for debugging steps here.  Do iax2 show netstats to see what
> the jitterbuffer is doing..
>
> b) There's some strange interaction between res_monitor, (or more
> specifically, the monitoring stuff in channel.c, and ast_writestream and
> friends), and the new JB.   Perhaps it is barfing when it sees
> interpolation frames (voice frames with datalen==0), or something, but
> if you're recording to slinear, the PLC should actually make more normal
> voice frames in this case..

In my case there should not be any network issue, as I'm near to the
server. On another machine this problem occurs with clients on local LAN
using a/ulaw as well. In that case the network was:
IAX softphone -> LAN -> * in LAN -> PRI
In my test case:
IAX softphone -> ADSL (1024/256) -> * in a good IP connection -> PRI (telco)

I made a packet dump (attached to the mail - hopefully it will go through).
What elso should I include?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
	Tamas

ps: I made a ticket for this issue yesterday: 0003826