[Asterisk-Dev] G.729 licensing, again..

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Thu Mar 17 00:34:19 MST 2005

>If you want to use the Intel code license it from Intel. Why is stealing
>software okay, but if I took a laptop with software, a laptop is useless
>without the software, but whatever. It is still stealing.

That's not an appropriate comparison.  If you take a laptop, someone
else doesn't have a laptop anymore.  So they are the victim, they are
the one missing out.

However, every time someone buys a license from Digium, the patent
holder gets $1.50 or something like that from Digium.  I can't see why
they would care which code you are running after you pay your money,
they are still getting their $1.50, so they are not the victim.  The
other $8.50 is a bonus for Digium, because they don't even have to
provide support if you use the Intel code, so they are not the victim
either.  So who is the victim, who is missing out and what are they missing?

Of course, if you don't pay anyone for the license, then that might be
in breach of your country's patent laws.

However, having an open source implementation of G.729 can only be a
good thing for Asterisk, as it let's people do benchmarking and
compatibility testing on a large scale without having to pay for
licenses they are not using - such activities don't necessarily require
licensing until you start selling a product.

It's also quite convenient for people who are happy to pay their money
but don't want the hassle of an awkward copy-protection system, such as
what Digium has implemented.