[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk cross-compilation for ARM

Jerry Hicks gehicks at alltel.net
Wed Mar 16 13:03:21 MST 2005

On Wednesday, March 16, 2005, at 10:16 AM, Jeremy McNamara wrote:

> Fabio Margarido wrote:
>
>> Hey there...
>> I'm trying to cross-compile Asterisk for the ARM processor, but ran
>> into some troubles.
>
> Asterisk is not friendly to cross-compile, but it can be done.   You
> have to change many Makefiles to use the specific toolchain tools
> (gcc, ar, ranlib, etc) for your cross compiler instead of just
> whatever gets found in your PATH.
>
> I have pondered tweaking the various makefiles to make this process
> easier, but I have not gotten that motivated, yet.

I know it's a real PITA but has anyone considered autoconf, automake,
et al?    I've built out a system before using it and although it is a
fair amount of work (and cursing) the end result is a familiar and
flexible build system that a lot of people understand how to use.

You get cross-compilation support among other things with that approach.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks