[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk cross-compilation for ARM

Fabio Margarido fabiomargarido at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 06:27:37 MST 2005

Hey there...
I'm trying to cross-compile Asterisk for the ARM processor, but ran
into some troubles. I've searched the list archives and found a guy
who posted a question with the same problems I'm having
(http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2005-February/009691.html),
but people stopped answering his questions before they were solved.
I've changed the Makefile in the following manner:

* added -static to the command line options
* added my ARM includes dir to the command line options
* changed $CC from gcc to arm-linux-gcc

Running make produces the following errors:

checking how to run the C preprocessor... arm-linux-gcc -E
*** checking host system type... ./config.guess: line 871:
./dummy-23080: cannot execute binary file ***
i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD compatible install... install
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for ar... /usr/bin/ar
checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
checking for tgetent in -ltinfo... no
checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
checking for tgetent in -lncurses... no
*** configure: error: termcap support not found ***
make: *** [editline/libedit.a] Error 1

The termcap error was reported by the other guy who asked about this,
and people said that removing the CLI from Asterisk should fix this,
since the -c option wasn't required. I don't need it also, so if
someone could tell me how to compile without the CLI, I'd really
appreciate it.
About the other error I've pointed out in the log above, I don't
really know what it means. I think it happens because I was supposed
to pass some command line arguments like host=arm to the configure
script, but since there is none in Asterisk, I'm a little confused
about how to do this, about where to change that option for host and
whatever else I need to change.
Thanks in advance.