[Asterisk-Dev] MOH using native codecs in stable branch

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Wed Mar 2 17:59:42 MST 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Brian West wrote:

> Just use CVS-HEAD.... Think just because the "stable" branch has the
> word stable in it... doesn't mean its stable.  CVS-HEAD is no less
> stable than the stable branch.

I just don't understand comments like this. The entire reason that a 1.0
branch exists is to snapshot a release at a specific level, and work to
fix major/minor issues in the hopes that the code will become more widely
tested, deployed and therefore hopefully more stable. I am perfectly
comfortable using the 1.0 stable CVS on production, mission critical
servers because it is not a moving target, has known, quantifiable
behavior and can be assumed to maintain some consistency between release
levels (barring the CallerID behavior change that was applied and later
reverted).

In my experience, the stable branch can be congfigured, deployed and
relied upon to function. With the significant changes being introduced in
CVS-HEAD, there is no way in hell I would trust it to machines that I rely
on to feed my family.

That being said, it is critically important for the community to accept
that CVS stable is snapshot in time and has many limitations. It is not in
the community's best interests to have developers spending time
back-porting patches to the stable tree.

If you need a feature backported, offer a bounty that will help sustain
the further development of Asterisk.

                             KP-216-121-ST