[Asterisk-Dev] Manager XML

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Wed Mar 2 08:14:55 MST 2005

>I will discuss this with him at von next week, but if you have any
>opinions pro and con XML in manager, please respond!

Speaking as a user, I would like to see it. In fact, I have written a parser
in .net that does exactly that, takes manager output and makes it avaliable
as an XMLRPC web service for a (gasp) Flash desktop app (if only I had time
to finish it properly!)

Yes, XML is bloated and controversial but I think it's pretty much here to
stay and Asterisk would benefit from it. Otherwise, you have people like me
that will write wrappers anyway and present it in a gagillion different
ways. This is an opportunity to standardize the format and facilitate the
administration of Asterisk in a non-CLI fashion, which IMO can only help for
platform adoption.

I have had discussions with other users about methods of making Asterisk
easy to administrate for PHB's and the like and one of the common threads
with almost all of them was to XML-ify manager output.