[Asterisk-Dev] Manager XML

C. Maj cmaj-SPAM at freedomcorpse.com
Wed Mar 2 07:07:20 MST 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Nicolás Gudiño waxed:

> Hi Olle,
>
> Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>
> > Marks response was that he doesn't want to see any XML in manager.
> > Period.

Can this be generalized to no XML in Asterisk, period ?

I recently started looking at VoiceXML, and after being
bitten once or twice by extensions.conf, this seems like a
nice option to have for complicated IVR situations.

> XML generates some strong views/opinions, it might be bloated if we only
> want to have a machine parsable format for 'sip show peers', 'iax show
> peers' and the like on the manager. Maybe we can use the same manager
> format for displaying full peer data, just like when you request Status
> (Action: Status). It generates an event for each allocated channel, like:

8<'s good stuff here

> I would really like to have a machine parseable output from the manager
> for 'sip show peers', 'iax show peers', 'show agents' , 'show
> parkedcalls', etc.. If its XML thats ok... if its 'manager formatted'
> that ok by me too!...

In my manager interfaces, I try not to use anything directly
from the CLI because of this lack of parseability.  So, I
only use proper "Name: Value" pair manager events.  It's
also much easier to only use the latter because the format
of the CLI output can change whenever and break my apps.

Tabs and whitespace in the code are one issue, but it all
compiles to the same binary; whereas arbitrary spaces on
the CLI make a much bigger difference.  I don't think XML is
a fad, I mean, HTML is still working great, and if XML can
bring some standardization to the interface I would enjoy
seeing this in 2.0 or something.

--Chris

--
Chris Maj, Rochester