[Asterisk-Dev] SIP Authentication problem between Cisco router and Asterisk when calls are forwarded

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Fri Jun 10 12:03:49 MST 2005

I've heard this mentioned before but I don't really understand how it
makes any sense in terms of building a reasonably efficient dial plan.

We have a large block of DIDs assigned to us so this is our dial plan:

[macro-stdexten]
exten => s,1,Dial(${ARG1},20)
exten => s,2,Goto(s-${DIALSTATUS},1)
exten => s-NOANSWER,1,Voicemail2(u${MACRO_EXTEN})
exten => s-NOANSWER,2,Hangup()
exten => s-BUSY,1,Voicemail(b${MACRO_EXTEN})
exten => s-BUSY,2,Hangup()
exten => _s-.,1,Goto(s-NOANSWER,1) ; everything else is treated as no
answer

[default]
exten => _20422233XX,1,Macro(stdexten,SIP/${EXTEN})

As you can see, we can handle hundreds (or even thousands) of DIDs in
only a few short lines of extensions.conf. If we started assigning
device names like "joesmith" we would have to define every single
extension.

Am I missing something?

--
John Lange