[Asterisk-Dev] #ifdef CONFIG_ZAPATA_PPP

Steven critch at basesys.com
Fri Jun 10 10:07:29 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 09:46 -0700, Roger Smith wrote:
> >Roger Smith schrieb:
> >
> >>Do most people compile the zaptel driver with #ifdef
> >>CONFIG_ZAPATA_PPP defined? I am trying to figure out if I need this
> >>in a port I am working on...

> >i do

> Could you elaborate on how you are using the PPP functionality *WITH* asterisk?

The PPP functionality is only useful if you have a T1 circuit. All it
helps accomplish is hooking up a PPP daemon to the virtual circuit to
provide the equivalent of a ISDN PPP dial up.

There is no modem functionality there and therefore it isn't useful for
most dial up users(at least in the US).

Also with the ability to add a .call file to the mix, you can make your
PBX do dial out PPP connections.

So now that you have been given the baby steps of what can and can't be
done. You can use it for any reason you want to.

I originally looked at it as our backup network access to/from a remote
machine that had an Ascend pipline 75.

Now for future reference, this really is a -user question and is best
handled on the asterisk-users list

--
Steven <critch at basesys.com>