[Asterisk-Dev] Re: [Asterisk-biz] Patent lawyers?

David Pollak dpp-asterisk at projectsinmotion.com
Wed Jun 8 08:45:54 MST 2005

Mike,

I know of at least two companies that used this software to deliver
faxes via e-mail to national and international networks of users.  It
was not a single PC receiving faxes into an inbox, it was incoming faxes
distributed to one or more e-mail addresses where the e-mail was read
nationally or internationally.

I believe there were installations with more than 1 incoming fax modem,
but that's a factual issue that would have to be checked with the folks
who managed the installations.

On a separate note, Apple also had a fax modem circa 1990.  I built a
broadcast fax system that took a SCO box and a bank of serial ports and
did customized cover pages and content from MS Word doc e-mail to an
address (does anyone remember UUCP) and faxed to a list of people.  I
can't for the life of me remember if I had incoming support on the
system as well.  But this should cover the issues relating to e-mail to
an address for faxing.

Remember also that you cannot patent the automation of a manual
process.  That means that if I can do something by hand, you cannot get
a patent on merely having a machine follow the same steps.  This was one
of the ways that a patent of real-time trading from a spreadsheet was
knocked out in Canada.

Thanks,

David