[Asterisk-Dev] [Announce] Asterisk::LDAP initial release

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Mon Jun 6 04:08:57 MST 2005

On Sunday 05 June 2005 22:42, Matthew Simpson wrote:
> Jeremy, I have seen you mention in the past that you think Realtime sucks.
> Would you mind sharing your reasons?  [I know it's hard to hear tone of
> voice through email -- so just to clarify, I am sincerely interested to
> know]

RealTime *is* a bad idea.  Why would you tie your entire PBX's ability to run
to a database?  If you want to keep everything in a database (a good idea)
then do so, and generate the static configs whenever necessary and reload the
appropriate module(s) intelligently, restarting the entire PBX when necessary
(i.e. almost never).  If the DB falls down or if some doughhead screws up the
data at least your PBX continues on without fail.

It's the best of both worlds, and keeps the PBX complexity to a minimum
instead of asking it to hit the DB for every little thing and tying the PBX's
reliability to a HUGE and MYSTERIOUS codebase (UnixODBC and whatever DB you
happen to choose, which is almost always that heinous excuse for a data
store, MySQL.).

Asterisk is huge and mysterious enough without making your job all the more
difficult.

-A.