[Asterisk-Dev] Re: [Asterisk-biz] Is there any SCCP patent issue?

Jeremy McNamara jj at nufone.net
Sat Jun 4 07:12:19 MST 2005

Harald Milz wrote:

>Any legal insight would be welcome!

For chan_skinny, we reverse engineered the SCCP protocol without any
Cisco proprietary information.  My legal advice signed off on the fact
that our work on chan_skinny would be protected under the DMCA Section
1201 Paragraph F - Reverse Engineering clause to create interoperable
software.

Having a patent on the process just means they would have to sue us to
have a court determine if we are illegally using it, which could then
invalidate their patent, if they lost.

Jeremy McNamara