[Asterisk-Dev] Is there any SCCP patent issue?

Julien Goodwin asterisk-lists at studio442.com.au
Sat Jun 4 03:31:52 MST 2005

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 10:59:35AM +0200, Harald Milz arranged a set of bits into the following:
> a fellow consultant who specializes in Cisco VoIP told me that Cisco
> patented SCCP, and that one is not supposed to use SCCP without paying
> Cisco royalties.
>
> Methinks that if there were an issue like that Digium would have been sued
> long ago. But IANAL. So - is there a legal issue with using SCCP in
> Asterisk, or using Cisco phones with Asterisk?
None that I know of, and I KNOW that Cisco is aware of chan_sccp (
perhaps chan_skinny being in the tree might be diffrent).
However see the recent fuss over VM patents, so many of them are
incredibly stupid, but the problem is they cost too much to defend.

Julien,
chan_sccp project lead