[Asterisk-Dev] Patent lawyers?

Dustin Wildes asterisk-dev at vecsector.com
Wed Jun 1 06:42:33 MST 2005

Brian West wrote:

> Anyone know a really good patent lawyers... Here are a list of patents
> we have been accused of violating: (And yes we run Asterisk +spandsp)
>
> 5675507 - Message storage and delivery system (voicemail)
> 6208638 - Method and apparatus for transmission and retrieval of
> facsimile and
> audio messages over a circuit or packet switched network (spandsp
> sending faxes via email)
> 6350066 - Systems and methods for storing, delivering, and managing
> messages (think vmail.cgi)
> 6564321 - Systems and methods for storing, delivering, and managing
> messages (again vmail.cgi)
> 6857074 - Systems and methods for storing, delivering, and managing
> messages (same as the other two)
> 6597688 - Scalable architecture for transmission of messages over a
> network (usage with spandsp)
>
> Non-Asterisk Related:
> 6073165 -Filtering computer network messages directed to a user's e-
> mail box based on user defined filters, and forwarding a filtered
> message to the user's receiver
>
> Some of these patents are just silly and could apply to ANY voicemail
> or messaging system on the planet even email. We face a "real" legal
> battle with these patents in question.. putting this out here because
> it could have an effect on anyone offering services be it voicemail or
> fax using Asterisk.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Just a thought - what about all the other commercial companies out there
that are doing the same type of services, ie: Cisco Call Manager?
Are they 'paying' patent fees in order to sell Call Manager?

I agree with Brian - that these patents are silly, and at first glance -
seems to me almost any/every technology-based company would be
infringing on these patents (example: Yahoo offering web-based email
service).

But on a larger scale, if these companies are right/wrong - the process
of proving them right/wrong could get costly, not to mention the
headache involved.