[Asterisk-Dev] [Bounty] IPv6 support in Asterisk

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Jun 1 01:26:51 MST 2005

Ronald van der Pol wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 13:55:33 +0200, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>

>>I still think there will be a lot of IPv4 only ISPs and clients out
>>there, so a gateway/migration strategy has to exist, even if us techies
>>can handle all of the tunneling and other tricks...
>

> There is consensus within the IETF that the best migration strategy
> is dual stack. Introduce IPv6 by making your equipment dual stack.
> If the other side can talk IPv6, use it. If the other side supports
> IPv4 only, use IPv4. When more and more systems get IPv6 aware, more
> and more traffic will go via IPv6.
Yes, I know. But it will still take a lot of time before all of the
Internet is IPv6 enabled with or without tunnels. A lot of old equipment
out there. There are gateway issues that needs to be addressed. Ignoring
them will lead into the same black hole as DNS went into a few years
ago, ignoring the transition phase.

/O