[Asterisk-Dev] bug reporting howto?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Jul 27 08:50:18 MST 2005

On Wednesday 27 July 2005 02:12, John Todd wrote:
> At 9:24 AM +0300 on 7/27/05, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> >So do I need to submit a disclaimer simply for having a bug marshal
> > look at my bug reports? Or should have I not mentioned the patch to
> > fix it? How should I report bugs?
>
> Do not submit patches that are not disclaimed.  Even though these
> patches may be only to describe further the problem, they confuse the
> single-minded.  In addition, if you submit a patch to which there is
> no disclaimer, and the patch that is independently developed by
> someone else looks very similar, then there is a potential conflict
> later when you might potentially claim someone "stole"  your patch
> code.  This may never be the case of course, but then that potential
> eventuality is the Fear that led to the whole point of the
> disclaimer, isn't it?

Let me reiterate this point, since I'm the bug marshal who closed 4637.
We CANNOT look at your patch if you're not disclaimed, since it may
influence how we eventually fix the issue (and that's a hairy mess of
copyright and derivative works).  If you want to submit a bug report
without a disclaimer, you may describe how to reproduce the issue, but
without a disclaimer, there should be no patch.

I'll additionally note that the resolution of bug 4637 is "Suspended",
which means you're welcome to reopen at a later time.

--
Tilghman