[Asterisk-Dev] sip messaging (tested on eyeBeam) support

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Jul 25 07:13:59 MST 2005

Juraj Bednar wrote:
> Hello,
>

>>Are you going to submit this to Mantis (http://bugs.digium.com/)?
>

> no, as Ole mentions, it is a hack. Which means, that it works with SIP
> devices only
> (i.e. you can't send text messages to different channels). For
> routing, it uses presence
> hints.
...and it will not be accepted into CVS since it breaks Asterisk's
architecture. There's a lot of stuff we can do easily in the SIP
channel, we could build a whole SIP proxy if we wanted, but it would
break the idea and design of Asterisk. One of the primary benefits of
Asterisk is it's multiprotocol nature. We need to keep that in mind when
we add messaging and presence.

I can't count the number of times I've been irritated by this. Like now,
when I am struggling with getting SIP transfers right. Without regards
to Asterisk in general, that would have been easily done...

It makes it much harder, but also more fun when you solve it and the
piece of the puzzle fits right into the Asterisk design.

/O