[Asterisk-Dev] spike / asterisk hang? <- On a 360MHz CPU - no, 440 :)

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Fri Jul 15 14:38:04 MST 2005

asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> response below
>
> Steven Critchfield wrote:

>>> 'least expensive' is to buy something more powerful?
>>> *boggle* ;)
>>
>> Cost of a 3000+ AMD PC with 512mb ram is under $400. Intel
>> shouldn't be much different.
>>
>> At $100 an hour for most programmers to take on the task, you
>> would get out cheaper on the new hardware.
>>
> Ok, not being a jerk here or anything.. but if *anyone* has
> links to solid and cheap rackmount systems with some sort of
> LOM and console capability such as my netras have I would owe
> them a beer or 6.
>
> Moving on..
>
> Please don't take this the wrong way but isn't that sort of
> microsoft mentality? Just make the huddled masses upgrade..
> it's easier
> or cheaper
> then throwing programmers at code correction. Again.. I'm
> just saying..
> no offense intended.

None taken. but with so much to do, and so few doing it, practical
decisions must be made. We have far fewer resources than Microsoft, so
we have to pick our battles.

> I do get the point that the asterisk community is not
> interested in making my old 8086 act as a national call
> center..

If it could be done, it WOULD be done.

> but you
> have to admit
> there is definite value to my theory that some things should
> take priority over others.. ie: dsp vs. call signaling.

Yep. But YOU have to admit that hardware is cheaper than software.
Besides, you seem to be suggesting that the -dev team does not take such
things into account - they do, but there's far more to it than that.
Asterisk still has to run on Linux, so there's certain things that
Asterisk cannot control.

If you want to push the limits, do so (and by all means share your
knowledge with the community), but be aware of what it means to blaze a
trail.

Jim.

--
Jim Van Meggelen