[Asterisk-Dev] Re: <asunto_mensaje_entrante>

Thu Jul 14 22:34:10 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 22:12 -0600, Greg Hill wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Derek Smithies wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Robert Webb wrote:
> >> Can someone ban this guy please???
> > ban this guy - this is a bit extreme.
> > Surely the correct approach is to write to the person in question and
> > say :
> Well, as it turns out, the message was an autoresponder telling us that
> the guy was on vacation and to please send email to one of those other

yep, sure, it was a pretty simple guess that is what it was...

> It's just the typical vacation mistake that just
> happens from time to time on a large list.

If only people would use decent vacation notify systems which support:
a) Trying to detect a mailing list, and avoid replying to them
b) Limiting the number of replies sent within a time period (even a real
person doesn't need one auto-reply every 30 minutes... one per 24 hours
is usually ample....)

Those two things will usually allow you to scrape by without any
complaints...

> So I emailed the soporte address and explained the situation to them
> pleasantly and in their language. Within just a couple hours I received an
> apology for the mistake and they corrected the problem.

Great, that is good.

> As Derek stated, banning is a bit extreme, at least as a first reaction.

I think what was meant is to un-subscribe the user from the mailing
list. This would avoid any further messages being sent to the user, and
therefore avoid invoking the auto-responder. This is actually exactly
what should happen as a first step in any such instance. The user can
always come back from holidays, wonder why they aren't getting any list
email, and simply re-subscribe....

> Better to inform them of the problem and hope they won't repeat the
> mistake. If that doesn't get a reasonably quick resolution, then pull out
> the ban stick.

I would suggest the only people who should be banned are those who
insist on sending drastically off-topic comments to the list on multiple
occassions (ie, plain spammers who are simply sending their adverts to
the list etc...)

I think we all know that this is an open community.... let's remember
that what we read perhaps should have been interpreted another way, and
let it slide if possible...

Just my .01c ...

Regards,
Adam