[Asterisk-Dev] Re: <asunto_mensaje_entrante>

Greg Hill gregh-asteriskd at hillnet.us
Thu Jul 14 21:12:23 MST 2005

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Derek Smithies wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Robert Webb wrote:
>

>> On 14 Jul 2005 16:19:30 -0000
>>   sergio.serrano at avanzada7.com wrote:
>>> Hasta el día 31 de Julio permaneceré de vacaciones, por
>>> lo que cualquier tipo de consulta, técnica o comercial
>>> debe redirigirla a soporte at avanzada7.com o a
>>> marketing at avanzada7.com
>>
>> Can someone ban this guy please???
>
> ban this guy - this is a bit extreme.
>
> Surely the correct approach is to write to the person in question and
> say :
>
> "One requirement of the asterisk list is that comments are made in English."

Well, as it turns out, the message was an autoresponder telling us that
the guy was on vacation and to please send email to one of those other
addresses if the matter is urgent. It was a simple translation for anybody
who speaks Spanish, and trivial for those who don't -- just copy it into
your favorite online translator site. Since the company is obviously a
Spanish one, it's entirely reasonable that the autoresponder should send a
message in Spanish. It's just the typical vacation mistake that just
happens from time to time on a large list.

So I emailed the soporte address and explained the situation to them
pleasantly and in their language. Within just a couple hours I received an
apology for the mistake and they corrected the problem.

As Derek stated, banning is a bit extreme, at least as a first reaction.
Better to inform them of the problem and hope they won't repeat the
mistake. If that doesn't get a reasonably quick resolution, then pull out
the ban stick.

Greg