[Asterisk-Dev] cvs-head July 11 - Hung, no errors

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Tue Jul 12 21:00:34 MST 2005

asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:

>>> No biggie, but can we add 'gmt' into the show version?
>>
>> Isn't GMT deprecated? Should be UTC, IIRC.
>
> I'm sure the people of Greenwich will be greatly alarmed to
> hear of the impending doom of their local time.  ;-)

Greenwich's local time (Europe/London) is not at risk. It's their mean
time that has been rendered obsolete--for many years, as a matter of
fact. Most people are familar with Greenwich Mean Time, but Universal
Time Coordinated (or "zulu" time) has been the official world reference
time for many years. GMT was officially laid to rest over 30 years ago,
if memory serves correctly. Now if they had a vote tomorrow, I'd say
let's give GMT another chance. UTC is just so clinical. Still, in the
interest of propriety, zulu time (UTC) has replaced Greenwich (GMT). We
don't have to like it (nor do the fine folks of Greenwich), but we have
to live with it.

They still own the Prime Meridian, after all, so we don't need to feel
too sorry for them ;-)

Jim.

--
Jim Van Meggelen