[Asterisk-Dev] code theft again?

Eric Wieling aka ManxPower eric at fnords.org
Tue Jul 12 15:40:02 MST 2005

Chris Albertson wrote:
> Aren't you required to sign over all rights to the code to
> Digium so they can sell it under non-GPL?  If so, I doubt
> you could file a lawsuit independently of Digium if you
> no longer own the copyright.

No.  This is yet another Asterisk Urban Myth.

There are two disclaimers.

One of them just assigns the copyright to your code to Digium.  This is
what might be used for small patches.

The other simply gives Digium a unrestricted license to your code. It
does not assign the copyright (you retain copyright), you just give
Digium a license to do whatever they want with your code.

http://www.digium.com/disclaim.changes (assign copyright)
http://www.digium.com/disclaimer.txt (grant license)

These two files are even linked off the main bugs.digium.com page and
yet people STILL think you MUST assign copyright to Digium.

I modified my copy of the text of http://www.digium.com/disclaimer.txt
before I sent it to Digium.  The only thing I did was add a note that
ONLY patches I post to bugs.digium.com under the ewieling account are
disclaimed, nothing else is.

--Eric

--
Eric Wieling * BTEL Consulting * 504-210-3699 x2120