[Asterisk-Dev] libiax2 OK for production?

Bruno Hertz brrhtz at yahoo.de
Mon Jan 31 17:06:23 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 18:41 -0500, Steve Kann wrote:

> What kind of latency are you talking about here?  There's about 60ms of
> latency, on the output side (i.e. to the speakers) in iaxclient proper
> that could be removed if we changed the architecture a bit [removing the
> buffers in-between decoding and the audio layer], but if you're seeing a
> _lot_ of latency, then there's probably some particular issue that can
> be resolved.

About one to two seconds on Fedora Core 3. On my system, it just can't
compete. Of all clients I tried, linphone, sjphone, cornfed,
gnomemeeting, ... iaxclient is worst latency wise. So it might be that
particular issue, but I myself see no easy way pinpointing it.

Reinventing the wheel, not really I guess. Portability is not my
concern, and as said miniphone already does what I want at a basic
level. The rest, like codec selection and comfort stuff, is just
fun hacking I'd say.

Thanks, Bruno.