[Asterisk-Dev] libiax2 OK for production?

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Mon Jan 31 16:41:30 MST 2005

Bruno Hertz wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 17:42 -0500, Steve Kann wrote:
>

>>I don't think it's being maintained by anyone other than me, really.
>>
>>You used iaxcomm (and commented on it) a few weeks ago.  The version of
>>libiax2 used in iaxclient (and iaxcomm) is a bit ahead of the version in
>>digium CVS (i.e. iaxclient has a new jitterbuffer which is in use, but
>>still being tuned, and some changes).  You are free, of course, to grab
>>the iaxclient version, and the digium version, and run diff for
>>yourself, and grab any changes you want.
>>

>Right, I tried recent iaxcomm versions and unfortunately found that it
>gives me too much latency. Tweaking PA_MIN_LATENCY_MSEC, while giving some
>improvement, didn't result in performance comparable to e.g. gnomemeeting.
>Since iaxcli exhibits the same behavior I'm bound to presume that this
>latency is due to iaxclient.
>
>On the other hand, I today checked out libiax2 and hacked up miniphone
>to work with it. The performance is more than satisfactory, and that's
>the main reason I'm considering developing a dedicated linux client,
>presumably by just patching up miniphone.

If you like...  Of course, you'd be re-inventing the wheel, instead of
just smoothing over some bumps on the existing wheel..

What kind of latency are you talking about here?  There's about 60ms of
latency, on the output side (i.e. to the speakers) in iaxclient proper
that could be removed if we changed the architecture a bit [removing the
buffers in-between decoding and the audio layer], but if you're seeing a
_lot_ of latency, then there's probably some particular issue that can
be resolved.

-SteveK