[Asterisk-Dev] codec coding docs needed

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sun Jan 30 09:02:04 MST 2005

Andrew Lindh wrote:

>Are there any docs on the codecs procedures/functions to inteface with
>asterisk? I'm looking for some information on what's called by asterisk,
>what it needs (parameters) and what it should do.
>
>I thougt would be easier to ask for docs than just read codec_g726.c.....
>
>Is there a good asterisk internals document?
>
>  Andrew

Just read codec_726.c Its quite a thin layer that sits between the codec
and asterisk, so it should be fairly easy to work it out. Its rather
inflexible, which means the various rates of G.726, for example, cannot
all be handled as a single codec with a parameter. It also treats a
codec as a one way path independent of anything else. This makes
adaptive codecs, and things T.38 a pain to handle. It also makes
figuring out the current interfaces quite easy, though :-)

Regards,
Steve