[Asterisk-Dev] Re: is this a bug?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu Jan 27 00:16:46 MST 2005

On Thursday 27 January 2005 00:16, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:
> Matt Riddell <matt.riddell at sineapps.com> writes:
> > What I'm saying is that I only run Asterisk with -c (I.E. without
> > a running instance and -r) when I'm debugging something or
> > starting up asterisk for the first few times.
>
> Same here.
>
> > After that I run it with safe_asterisk.
>
> Ah.  The script that starts Asterisk in its own virtual console,
> with '-c', so that newbies learn that good Asterisk administration
> involves doing interactive work in that console.  This, of course,
> works great, until their fingers slip while doing (ctrl-based)
> command line editing, accidentally hit ^C, and Asterisk immediately
> drops everything and quits, no questions asked.  To add insult to
> injury, this is the same application that had already responded to
> their beginner's attempts to exit using 'exit' and 'quit' with
> "user friendly" explanations of how those commands shouldn't be
> used for stopping Asterisk, so please always use STOP instead...

Except that most people who use a startup script are typically nowhere
near the console, connecting to asterisk by ssh'ing in, attaching with
-Rc, and thus do not imperil their daemon with a stray Ctrl-C.  I
administer more than a few Asterisk machines remotely this way, and
Ctrl-C is less of a worry than a catastrophic failure of the multiple
redundant electrical systems.

--
Tilghman